Funk music sets off spring semester

Funk music sets off spring semester

By Jake Saunder

Hangar 9 presented a celebration for students returning to their educational endeavors with an evening of funk music Friday.

Chicago-based band The Heard and Carbondale locals Soul Glo headlined the event. Marked with fish stamps upon entrance, the audience set their sails and dove long into the midnight hours.

“With the students being gone, I wasn’t sure if people were still out of town or they were back,” said Soul Glo vocalist Sarah Jones. “But I think they’re back and ready to party.”

The funk falsetto and brass, combined with the bash of harmonic clamor, crafted the horizon-lined night. A warbling saxophonic tempo drowned the nightfall, carrying messages over the breakers into searching ears, the ports and the calls.

The music provided a bellow of electric rhythm, coursing the whitecaps of undulating individuals. The audience danced and writhed, crying and laughing and swaying like wet leaves amidst a soft and serene breeze.

The instruments acted as a light of sun, dancing furthermore across the languid and vocal whip.

The chorus of rhythm and pounding melodic symphony pulsated through the venue. Distorted and chaotic in a calm and controlled entombment, the timbre blended the moment in fogging storm.

“It is a release from the daily work,” Marion resident Lindsey Kraniewski said. “To just enjoy the creative nature of people, I love that. You can hear the soul in the music and it makes you want to dance, it makes your foot tap and that’s very impressive. I can’t help but to dance.”

Surging and coalescing instrumentation composed of crowd sounds—including John Cage’s “4’33″—created a new torrent of clamor. As the music continued, the audience began to merge together.

Like the falling of waves, the choir, composed of the string and the key and drum, provided a rhythm of brooks breaking the pulling tide.

“[The show] was awesome,” Heard guitarist Taras Horalewskyj said. “We had a blast here in Carbondale and at the Hangar. Great crowd. They loved the funk. So we hope to be back soon.”

As the show continued, the songs of holy bleating, undying and unceasing undertow floated and cleansed those in the room.

The sound, a cyclical whirlpool and the everlasting croons of the deep, yowled onward the flooding tides and beckoned outward the inlaid spirit sails.

It willowed onward in saline sound, and Jones said the audience helped make the experience even more memorable.

“I thought it was wonderful,” Jones said. “The crowd was feeling the music and toward the middle of our set, more people started to show up and we kind of feed off the crowds’ energy so it was fantastic. I always love coming to Hangar.”

Soul Glo often performs in Carbondale venues; however, The Heard will not be back until April 12. More information may be found at theheardfunk.com and facebook.com/soulglomusic.