Former SIU star to speak at Morris

By Tony McDaniel

Former SIU basketball player Mike Glenn will speak in the Guyon Auditorium of the Morris Library Friday at 2 p.m.

Glenn will be discussing his fourth book, “My Next Shot Goes In: Ten Sacred Characteristics of NBA players that lead to success.” Along with the books Glenn has published, he was the subject of a movie called “Spirit of Love”, which won the Best Inspirational Film Award in 2013 at The Texas Christian Film Festival.

Michael Haywood, the director of minority affairs for SIU, said it is not only important for his department, but all individuals to hear Glenn speak.

“He’s successful as a basketball player and a business person,” he said. “I think the message that he has will inspire and encourage people from all walks of life.”

Glenn played basketball for the Salukis from 1974 to 1977 and was named to the SIU All-Century Basketball Team. Glenn played guard for ten years in the NBA with stints with New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks, Milwaukee Bucks, and now extinct Buffalo Braves. Glenn averaged 7.6 points per game throughout his NBA career. In 1980, he won the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award, an award given to a player or coach who demonstrates outstanding service and dedication to the community.

Glenn currently works for Fox Sports South as an analyst for the Atlanta Hawks. He also hosted a youth basketball camp for the hearing-impaired for the last 34 years; the camp is free of charge each summer to all deaf athletes.

For more information, contact Michael Haywood in the Office of Minority Affairs in the College of Business at [email protected]

Tony McDaniel can be reached at [email protected]on twitter @tonymcdanielDE, or at 536-3311 ext. 282