First half blast turns to upset

By Symone Woolridge

The Salukis played their most competitive half of the season but couldn’t make it last as they came up short to the Missouri State University Bears Thursday 91-72.

SIU began the game hot and led nearly the entire first half.  Senior guard Jordyn Courier was the fiery shooter of the game.

Courier led the Salukis with 16 points in the first half with 12 coming from the 3-point line.  The Saluki collected her career high with 21 points.

Sophomore forward Dyana Pierre topped Courier’s points with yet another double-double, her 19th of the season. The forward led SIU with 27 points and added 18 rebounds.

Although the first half worked in the Salukis’ favor, the second wasn’t quite the same.  SIU was outscored and outhustled.  The Bears played tight defense that converted to offensive buckets.

“This is a very fast-paced team,” Coach Cindy Stein said.  “They play very physical and they attack the basket every time.”

Four Bears players scored in double-digits.  Senior forward Bry Snow led her team with 26 points.  Her sister, sophomore Tyonna Snow, was right behind her with 18.

By the halftime mark, the Salukis and Bears each scored 22 points in the paint, but by the end, Missouri State had 62 points in the game.

SIU lost its early momentum and handed it to MSU.  The Bears outscored the Salukis 52-31 in the second half along with nine steals and 18 bench points.

The Salukis have been at a major disadvantage this season because of injuries and other health reasons.  They have been playing with only nine players throughout most of the season and the shortage of players really have been hurting SIU.

“It’s kind of hard playing with only nine players,” Pierre said.  “You only have one person at one position or two people at one position and other people are in foul trouble, so fatigue is going to come.”

Coach Stein said Courier and Pierre gave tremendous effort, and the loss was unfortunate.

This is the first game since the Salukis’ double overtime win against Bradley University that they scored at least 76 points.

Courier, along with senior teammate Sydney Goins, will play their last home game of the season for senior night Saturday against Wichita State University at 6:05 p.m. The Shockers have dropped three of their last four games. Before that stretch, they won 20 games in a row.

Courier said the final games are bittersweet and her and Goins would rather not think about it, but count down the days together.

“I just want our team to play hard and hopefully get the win against Wichita State, that would be awesome,” Courier said.

Symone Woolridge can be reached at [email protected] on twitter @swoolridge_DE or ext. 536-3311 ext. 269