Facilities allow better practice

Facilities allow better practice

By Aaron Graff

At this time last year, the SIU baseball team was homeless.

The Salukis did not have a field to call home last season until after the team’s fall practices. Abe Martin Field was completed in November, which only granted the Salukis some individual practices on the field. The rest of Itchy Jones Stadium was not completed until March.

The NCAA allows 28 full team practices in the fall. Coach Ken Henderson said he will complete those practices in a 45-day window this year.

SIU scrimmaged at John A. Logan College’s baseball field and held most practices at the SIU recreational fields last year. All of the team’s fall practices have been conducted on Abe Martin Field this year.

“It’s a lot better,” senior outfielder Tyler Rolland said. “It’s a lot more of a home feel. Last year walking up to the rec fields was kind of a pain, but now that we have this [field], it’s a beautiful park and it’s fun coming to practice every day.”

Henderson said the field is ready to practice on shortly after rain, and ready to go if it is dark. He said it also helped with recruiting.

The Salukis have 12 freshman, 14 sophomores, three juniors and four seniors this season. All of the upperclassmen are community college transfers. Henderson said it is an advantage because players are competing for playing time.

“We do not have a kid with more than one year of experience in Division I baseball,” Henderson said. “Is it a disadvantage? No it’s absolutely not. I think it’s an advantage to us.”

Rolland said the team has been working on playing as hard as it can because it is going to have to scrap for every run this season.

Henderson said he has seen great team chemistry between the returning players and the freshmen.

“[The freshmen are] a talented group,” Rolland said. “They’re doing well. They are. If they learn to play the game the right way, they’re going to be real good.”

Freshman catcher Nick Hutchins said he chose SIU because the team’s potential and the coaching staff made it an attractive option. He said the returning players have helped him transition to the collegiate level.

“It’s a lot different,” Hutchins said. “It’s a lot more. It’s a grind. High school is a lot more laid back, and this is the real deal. I like it a lot better.”

Henderson said the lineup and pitching rotation is not set. He said redshirt senior pitcher Aaron Hauge will probably be a weekend starter, as he was last year. Sophomore pitcher Kyle Pauly might be a weekend starter if he keeps at the pace he is on.

“I couldn’t tell you one thing that’s settled right now,” Henderson said. “Every position on that field is wide open. There are two and sometimes three good options at every position.”

Pauly was named a Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American last season. He was also second-team All-Conference relief pitcher. Pauly said the team’s success means more to him than anything, and he trusts his coaches to find the best role for him.

“I have no idea what I’m going to be doing,” Pauly said. “Whatever [pitching coach P.J.] Finigan and [Henderson] think they need to have me in, I’m totally there for it.”

The coaches originally placed Pauly with a summer league team, but shut him down to preserve his arm and not risk injury. He spent most of his summer lifting weights and has been working on little things with his delivery at practice.

“Before I came here I didn’t even play summer ball,” Pauly said. “I’m kind of used to it and honestly, I think the break it gives on my arm is exactly what I need. I’ll be good to go.”

The Salukis have their first series Feb. 13 to 15 in Fort Worth, Texas against the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs.