Dawgs outlast Braves

Dawgs outlast Braves

By Tyler Dixon

After dropping back-to-back games against the top two teams in the Missouri Valley Conference, SIU was able to get a crucial win Tuesday and send the pinked out crowd home happy.

The Salukis (11-17, 7-8) captured a 75-64 win against the Bradley University Braves (11-17, 6-9) and jumped into the sixth spot in the MVC standings.

Sophomore guard Anthony Beane led all scorers with 27 points. Freshman Bola Olaniyan returned to form and finished with 10 points and 12 rebounds; six of which came on the offensive end.

Beane scored 11 points in the first 8:30 of the game, but added only three more points, finishing with 14, before the midway point.

SIU started strong in the first half but the Braves ended on a 23-9 run to take a 35-33 lead at the half.

Coach Barry Hinson said he was upset with several things going into the half

“I didn’t go nuts, but I told them, and we responded,” Hinson said.

Senior guard Desmar Jackson had 15 points in the win. After a hard foul toward the end of the second half, Jackson went down hard, holding his left shoulder. He was slow to get up and had his left arm looked at by the trainer but did return to action.

The Braves racked up the fouls in the second half, committing a total of 27 in the game. Bradley had three players foul out in the game; freshman forward Sean O’Brien was the only player to foul out for the Salukis.

SIU was called for two technical fouls; O’Brien and sophomore guard Jalen Pendleton each had one. Hinson said he spoke to the two players after the game and said they can’t make mistakes like that.

“I explained to a couple individuals, we gotta be smarter than that,” Hinson said.

Sophomore guard Marcus Fillyaw got his first in-game action since Jan. 8 against Loyola University. Fillyaw logged 15 minutes in the game.

Beane said Fillyaw could help the team more now that he is on the court.

“It was big because now he’s out there with us,” Beane said.

With the win, the Salukis managed to claim the sixth spot, and have avoided playing on the opening night of the MVC Tournament.

SIU still has three games left in the season, with two of them away from SIU Arena.

Beane said the game felt like a playoff game, but he thinks the team can finish higher than sixth place.

The Salukis head to the University of Evansville Saturday to take on D.J. Balentine and the Purple Aces.

Hinson said he asked the team after the game whom they played for during the Pink out cancer game.

They knew who they playing for before the game even started, Beane said.