Dawgs dominate Drake to turn season around

By Tony McDaniel

SIU scored 20 runs in three games at Charlotte West Stadium to begin to turn their season around.

The Salukis came into the three-game series with a 10-12 record while Drake entered the weekend underachieving with 16 losses and just six wins.

In game one, SIU was able to set the tone for the rest of the weekend with its first of three dominating performances. The Salukis defeated the Bulldogs with just three runs, all of which were scored in the top of the third inning.

The Dawgs were able to make up for their lack of scoring with a stellar performance from their starting pitcher.

Junior Katie Bertelsen led the Salukis with her arm in game one. Bertelsen went the distance for the Salukis while only giving up four hits to the Bulldog lineup.

Coach Kerri Blaylock said her upperclassman has been pitching lights out as of late.

“Katie has thrown back to back two of the best games she’s thrown as a Saluki,” Blaylock said. “She’s just throwing the ball well, she’s throwing to both sides of the plate and mixing speeds. She’s doing everything she’s supposed to.”

In game two, SIU’s pitching and defense were enough to see them through to its second straight win.

Freshman Shaye Harre started the game for the Salukis but gave up three runs on six hits in one inning of work before being swapped for senior pitcher and first baseman Taylor Orsburn.

In the top of the third inning, SIU scored two runs when senior Kelsea Ashton hit a two-RBI single to put the Salukis on top 4-3. SIU was able to score two runs over the next three innings to seal the win 6-3.

Orsburn pitched six innings in the win for the Dawgs and allowed three hits. She finished with three strikeouts and no walks to clinch her first ever collegiate win. Blaylock said Orsburn has worked hard to get to where she is as a pitcher.

“Taylor Orsburn is just gutsy.” Blaylock said. “For her to go in at a reliever role and do what she’s done has been special.”

Game three featured an offensive explosion from the Dawgs. Drake opened the scoring in the first inning when Hayley Nybo hit a ball to left field that scored Megan Sowa from second base.

After giving up the early run, Bertelsen, the Saluki starter settled down in the circle to allow the bats to take over the game.

SIU tied the game in the second inning when Junior Kalyn Harker hit an RBI triple to left field that sent junior Kara Kimball to even the score. The Salukis scored runs in each remaining inning to win the final game 11-3.

Senior second baseman Jayna Spivey stood out for the Dawgs during the weekend. Spivey had four RBI’s in the three-game series to bring her within two of the Saluki record. Spivey’s 131 career RBI’s put her just one behind current all-time leaders Alicia Garcia and Jamie Schuttek.

Spivey said despite being on the verge of making history, her focus still sits on the goals her team set instead of her personal achievements.

“I’m more interested in what we’re doing in conference right now,” Spivey said. “I’ll worry about [records] whenever I’m a few years gone from here.”

SIU will look to improve on its 13-12 record when it heads to Saint Louis University Wednesday for a mid-week doubleheader against the Billikens.