Daniels changes heart, comes back to men’s basketball

Dantiel Daniels will return to the men’s basketball team next season and withdraw his request for a release from his scholarship.

Daniels reportedly asked for his release April 11, two weeks after coach Barry Hinson was hired to replace former coach Chris Lowery.

Freshman forward Dantiel Daniels boxes out a Creighton University player Feb. 14 during the SIU men'€™s basketball game at the SIU Arena. Daniels finished the game with 12 points and 33 minutes of playing time. He has an average of 8.9 points per game for the 2011-12 season. €“Sarah Gardner | Daily Egyptian

“Anytime there is a coaching change, there’s a period of uncertainty for the players,” Hinson said in a press release. “It took tremendous courage on Dantiel’s part to reconsider his decision.”

According to a press release, Daniels said he talked with his mom about the situation last week and cleared his head before he decided to come back.

“I decided to finish what I started,” Daniels said in the press release. “I have a bond with my former teammates, the community and the fans.”

Daniels’ release was denied, along with Treg Setty’s, because the university is worried about NCAA sanctions in regards to academics. The NCAA punishes programs that have players leave the team as well as players with a GPA below 2.6, as Setty and Daniels do.

Setty met with the NCAA Appeals Committee Thursday in regards to his release.

Daniels was one of four to ask for a release from the men’s basketball team in the wake of Lowery’s dismissal. Recruits Travis Wilkins and Bobo Drummond were released from letters of intent.