Dancers dazzle Saluki Shakers

Dancers dazzle Saluki Shakers

By Demario Smith-Phipps

Young dancers from throughout the region competed in Davies Gymnasium on Sunday with routines that incorporated feathers, jump suits, tutus, changing booths and even a park bench.

The Saluki Shakers’ 2013 Dance Competition featured girls aged 3-16 who danced for supremacy in categories such as jazz and lyrical dance. The participants were placed into divisions based on age and genre. The competition also featured divisions between groups of doubles and trios.

Cailyn Fowlkes of the Sloans dancing program won the overall solo 10-and-younger category, and Addy Snow of Snow Power won the overall solo 11-and-older competition. The overall group awards went to ensembles Safe and Sound, Sloans, Pound the Alarm and The Upbeat. Awards were also given for each individual dance genre.

April Schafer, of Benton, said she was proud to see her 6-year-old daughter, Lainey, succeed among a pool of talented dancers.

“Lainey won first in solo hip-hop. she did very well today,” Schafer said. “Her teacher, Brittany, must be doing a good job with her because of how well she danced today.”

Shakers coach Tawmi Conley said the dance competition, which is in its eighth year, is growing in size and popularity.

“For the last few years we’ve seen more and more people come out and support the program and the competition,” she said. “The young girls who danced today love to dance and I hope they learn that it’s OK to keep dancing.”

The judging panel consisted of both past and present Shakers and handed out special awards such as the ‘cutest’ and ‘I know I will see your name again’ awards.

St. Louis Rams cheerleader Chelsea LaBrie, a former Shaker, said judging the competition allowed her to reminisce on her time as a young dancer.

“This competition was pretty fierce,” she said. “I’m also impressed with the girls. Not everyone was the greatest dancer out there, but I liked seeing how much fun they were having.”

In her third year with the Rams, LaBrie said young girls who are passionate about dancing should maintain their dedication.

“If you want to dance, you should stick with it,” she said. “Take a lot of technique classes, and remember to be yourself.”

During her time as a Shaker, LaBrie said she learned numerous skills that prepared her for success.

“Being a Saluki Shaker was a great bonding experience and helped groom me as a performer,” she said. “I’ve made lifelong friends as a Shaker, and it was a great way to get involved in school.”

The annual dance competition is one fund raising avenue the Shakers use to prepare for the Universal Dance Association national competition — an event team members train tirelessly for.

Conley said the women may not be seen as the typical athlete, but they are as committed as any other student athlete.

“Most people will never notice, but my young ladies are always working and going full force all year long,” she said. “They have practices over breaks, they do plenty of community service along with their responsibilities as students.

Senior Megan Campbell, the Shakers’ captain, said a member’s typical week may mirror some of the more rigorous athletic schedules.

“We’re all full-time students, and almost all of us have jobs,” she said. “We practice 20 hours a week, five days a week, and we try to maintain our 3.0 GPAs.”

Campbell said her time with the team has been invaluable in her personal and dancing development.

“Being on the team has taught me excellent communications skills,” she said. I have to communicate with my teammates, alumni and faculty. Now it’s easy for me to talk to people.”

The Shakers are holding spring tryouts April 12-13, and applications are available for download on the team’s website.

Conley said the national competition is increasing the number of performers on each team, and she would like to expand the Shaker’s membership.

“We are losing five seniors, so we would really like to replenish the team,” she said. “We currently have girls from the Chicago, St. Louis and southern Illinois area, so we are a pretty diverse group,” Conley said.

She said interested dancers should contact her at [email protected]