Cross-country star hopes to reach higher

By Brent Meske

The women’s cross-country team has already won one of its two events this year, and one runner in particular has been vital to its success.

Senior Kelley Gallagher is the top Saluki runner this season. She won the Saluki Invitational and finished 40th at the Notre Dame Invitational.

Gallagher’s 21st place finish at the NCAA Midwest Regional last season helped the team finish fourth, its highest regional finish in school history. She was also part of the team’s first Missouri Valley Conference title in 21 years and finished fifth at the MVC Championships. This resulted in her first career All-Conference honor.

“My ultimate goal is to make it to nationals whether it be as an individual or as a team,” she said. “I was really surprised I did that last year, but I think I can better that this year.”

Senior teammate Tori Parry said Gallagher can do even better this year. She said Gallagher’s pace, 17:00.7, at the Notre Dame Invitational could make her an individual qualifier for nationals.

Head coach David Beauchem said Gallagher can improve on her accomplishments from last season.

“I think she’s ahead of where she was last year,” he said. “I think our goal is the top 10 in the regional meet but she has to get to that point in the season healthy and ready to go.”

Parry said Gallagher is a leader on the course and constantly pushes team members to better themselves.

“She pushes every workout, she is never a slacker and that obviously shows,” she said. “We have weekend runs, and even when she doesn’t have someone to keep her accountable, her paces are always good.”

Beauchem said Gallagher is not expected to win the regional, but he said the opportunity is there.

“She has been our top runner this year,” he said. “She has helped our other runners because she’s the most experienced runner up front right now. She sets up our races based on what she does.”

Beauchem said she can lead the team at both the MVC meet and the regional. They have talked about her goals and how they will take advantage of her opportunities, he said.

“We’ve looked at race strategies to give her a shot to be at the top in the conference and then come back and run better at the regional,” he said. Gallagher said she is working especially hard this season because it could be her last year of collegiate running.

“I have another year of eligibility, but I’m looking at going to graduate school,” she said. “So if I do run next season, it wouldn’t be at SIU.”