Council considering election process change

By Karsten Burgstahler

As the Administrative Professional Staff Council nears its annual election, council officials want constituents to understand potential changes to the election policy.

The council did not take any action on the proposed policy during its meeting Wednesday. Presently, any AP staff member can run to be a representative. When one member’s term ends another may come in from a different department, with unequal representation on the board.

The new policy would divide membership among eight different sectors and provide two representatives per sector, with the potential for more depending on the number of employees in the sector. During its February 18 meeting, the group estimated a ratio of one representative for every 30 employees.

Council Chairperson Kathy Jones provided the Daily Egyptian the proposal’s most recent draft in hopes AP employees might provide feedback on the sectors (detailed in the graphic to the right.)

The changes would not take effect in the 2014-2015 school year; during Wednesday’s meeting it was announced four nominations have been made for the four positions opening this year. Vice Chair Jon Geiger, Secretary Valerie Brooks Wallin, councilman Don Castle and Jones will reach the end of their respective terms in May.

Karsten Burgstahler can be reached at [email protected]on Twitter @kburgstahler_DE or by phone at 536-3311 ext. 254.