Corporate sponsorship helps STEM students

By Branda Mitchell

A $50,000 donation, to Southern Illinois University, doubled the student participation in a program to bridge the gap from high school to college.

The donation allowed 26 incoming freshman interested in science, technology, engineering and math, commonly called STEM, to attend the program by paying for the costs of housing, meals and textbooks. AT&T Inc. Illinois President Paul La Schiazza presented the donation to the administration Tuesday at the Student Services Building.

The bridge program is designed to help students acclimate to college and student life before their first semester at the university. For two weeks, students in the program live on campus while participating in social activities and academic enrichment courses.

Renada Greer, Student Support Services director, said the program was able to grow because of the funds given by AT&T Inc..

“Thanks to AT&T, we nearly doubled the number of participants in the program to 52 students,” Greer said. “We were able to offer a STEM emphasis program. Half of the students participated in a STEM summer bridge program.”

Greer said the students go to class daily from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and spend two hours in the library to show them what to expect in future studies.

“Students increasingly are interested in majoring in STEM fields, but often change their academic plans because of the rigorous, challenging introductory courses in math and science,” Greer said.

Students in math and science-related fields who participate are prepared to transition into college and less likely to change their academic plans, according to a university statement released at the event.

La Schiazza said investing in students prepares them for future careers.

“While our company’s business is delivering connections through new technologies, we’re also committed to investing in the next generation of workers, dreamers and leaders,” La Schiazza said. “In order to be prepared for the jobs of tomorrow, AT&T is investing to benefit Illinois students today.”

Interim Chancellor Paul Sarvela said corporate involvement facilitates development throughout the university.

“Corporate sponsorship is so important as we try to advance our programs, improve our programs and allow more students to participate,” Sarvela said. “It makes all the difference in the world.”

Kelly Melloy, a freshman from Burbank studying business, said the program was a good way to start her experience in college.

“After going to the program and meeting my roommate and seeing that they’re all in the same boat as I was, I knew it’d be okay,” Melloy said. “Spending two weeks with these amazing adults … it was a great way to begin my professional and college career.

Melloy also said adjusting to the beginning of school was not as difficult.

“Coming into my first week of college was very easy for me,” Melloy said. “If I had to do it again, I would come into the bridge program because it benefitted me very much.”

Brian Laurore, a freshman from Nashville, TN. studying mechanical engineering, said he felt at ease when he started school because he went through the summer bridge.

“Summer bridge was a very good experience for me,” Laurore said. “I was able to come into college my first year and feel like home.”

Branda Mitchell can be reached at [email protected]