Child center hosts fundraiser

By Storey Mayer

Since 2002, the non-profit Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center has been helping local physically and sexually abused children. Their services assist hundreds of children each year.

The mission of the Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center in Pinckneyville is to coordinate a timely, comprehensive and multi-disciplinary response to child sexual abuse and serious physical abuse allegations in a safe, agency neutral, child-focused setting.

Although the center does receive some funding through the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services and various forms of governmental support, the cost to stay open is always rising. With the increasing bills and diminishing funds, the workers at the center said they need every penny to ensure it remains open.

“We have been extremely fortunate to have the support and donations from companies,” Betti Mucha, director of the Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center, said. “Many of those companies are non-existent anymore, though.”

The advocacy center is holding a fundraiser 6 p.m. July 12 at Campbell Hill Community Center in Campbell Hill to ensure they have enough financial resources to remain open. There will be trivia, a 50/50 drawing, a silent auction, a cash bar and prizes awarded to the best dressed. All of the proceeds will go to the Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center. This year’s theme is ‘90s. Participants are welcome to wear ‘90s attire and to decorate their team table.

The fundraiser’s main purpose is to make sure the center is able to pay the bills.

Mucha believes the only way any child advocacy center can survive is by having some sort of a reserve.

“We are just trying to generate a little more revenue to keep the doors open,” she said. “We are trying to make sure that if the state tries to cut funding we will be set to go.”

Jean Alstat, a board member at Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center, said no one wants to hear about bad or sad things happening to children. She said she urges people to grasp that it truly does happen.

“They just see it in the newspaper, but it is real,” Alstat said. “Those children come here to get the legal, therapeutic and emotional support they need.”

Chairman of the board at the Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center Tyson Tanner said the center is the voice on behalf of a child whose voice would not be heard otherwise.

“The Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center is a house converted to a friendly center for children to feel safe,” Carrie Gilliam, secretary of the board, said. “It is so necessary because the children have already been hurt enough when they come.”

To sign up for the fundraiser, place a donation, get involved with the Perry-Jackson Child Advocacy Center or find more information about the fundraiser visit www.perryjacksoncac.org or call 618-357-2990.

Storey Mayer can be reached at [email protected] or 536-3311 ext. 254