Candlelight vigil, veterans ceremony scheduled

By Seth Richardson

In honor of veterans in Carbondale and around the country, the university ROTC program will give students and community members the opportunity to pay their respects.

A 24-hour candlelight vigil will take place Sunday starting at 11 a.m. at the Old Main Flagpole in front of the Student Center. The Army and Air Force ROTC will alternate each hour maintaining the color guard.

The vigil continues throughout the night, where the community is invited to come pay its respects to veterans. This leads into the veterans’ ceremony at Shryock Auditorium Monday at 11 a.m.

Capt. Matthew T. Morse, assistant professor of military science and a 2003 graduate, said the events have taken place for nearly 25 years at SIU and allow community members to show their support.

“We’re doing all of this to pay tribute to the veterans of the United States military,” he said. “Since we can remember, we’ve had veterans fighting for our freedom. This is our way to honor them.”

The color guard is a time-honored tradition, and Morse said it would take place no matter the circumstances.

“We do that for 24 hours. Rain, shine, it doesn’t matter,” Morse said. “It’s going to be cold, it’s probably going to rain. They always stand out there and guard the colors. Anyone can walk up and pay tribute at that time.”

Immediately following the vigil is the Veterans Day Ceremony outside of Shryock Auditorium. Morse said they expect nearly 100 cadets standing in formation while a presentation about the history of Veterans Day takes place.

Retired Lt. Col. Paul Copeland, director of campus veterans’ services and a 1983 graduate, is a speaker for the event. Following Lt. Col. Copeland, a 21-gun honor salute will take place.

Morse said the vigil is informal, and everyone is encouraged to attend regardless of his or her affiliation with veterans.

“It’s just one of those things that kind of touches you a little bit and you respect why we serve,” Morse said. “It’s a voluntary military. We don’t force anybody to do it, and that’s why most of us joined. We wanted to serve our country, and we stood up and said, ‘Yes, we’ll do it.’”