Bulldogs battle in the dawgpound

The Salukis fell to the Bulldogs 61-56.

The Saluki men’s basketball team faced off against the Drake Bulldogs at home Wednesday.

Although SIU held a lead in the first half, the Bulldogs came roaring back with timely 3-point shooting to lead 34-28 at halftime.

For the first time this season, senior guard T.J. Lindsay led the team in scoring with eight points at the end of

Senior guard Jeff Early puts up a jump shot after rebounding sophomore guard Josh Swan’s attempt Wednesday during the game against Drake University at SIU Arena. The Salukis fell to the bulldogs 61-56 in their fifth straight loss of the season. The Salukis will play Illinois State University Saturday in Bloomington at Redbird Arena. Sarah Gardner | THE WEEKENDER

Senior guard Jeff Early puts up a jump shot after rebounding sophomore guard Josh Swan’s attempt Wednesday during the game against Drake University at SIU Arena. The Salukis fell to the bulldogs 61-56 in their fifth straight loss of the season. The Salukis will play Illinois State University Saturday in Bloomington at Redbird Arena.
Sarah Gardner | THE WEEKENDER

the first half. Junior guard Desmar Jackson was

energetic on the rebounding end. The junior accounted for five rebounds in the first half.

Sophomore guard Josh Swann scored five points as a starter and grabbed two

rebounds by halftime. Drake forward Chris Hines caught

fire from behind the arc as he made threes of his five attempts in the first half.

Drake’s effective offense propelled them past the Salukis in the first half,

but SIU was the more aggressive team. The Salukis went to the foul line seven times and had more than double Drake’s points from the free-throw line.