Bryer returns to team

By Demario Smith-Phipps

Coach Barry Hinson announced Tuesday that sophomore forward Antonio Bryer has returned to the men’s basketball team.

According to Saluki Athletics, Bryer left the team Monday because of personal issues. However, Hinson said the sophomore post man would continue to be a part of the Salukis’ success.

“Antonio Bryer called me last night — along with his mother — and informed me that he had made a mistake and that he would like to be back with the program,” he said. “We think it is the best thing for our program at this time to allow him to come back and be a part of this family.”

The 6-foot-6 forward averages five points and two rebounds on the year as the second post player to come off the Saluki bench.

Hinson said Bryer will be eligible to play in tonight’s game against Western Kentucky.

“He is eligible to play, and he will make the trip,” he said. “Consequently, if we get in foul trouble, we will have another body to put on the floor. We poke fun at it, but that is the truth.”

The sophomore should help the Salukis against the Hilltoppers’ vaunted post rebounders. Hinson said rebounding must be a priority for the Salukis if they are to win.

“They had 18 offensive rebounds in their last game,” he said. “When you go out on the floor and there’s a chance that everybody is 6’5” or 6’6” and under, you have to be really concerned. The two keys for this game we thought were how can we get stops, and how can we get rebounds?”