Police arrest three on Poplar

Three individuals were arrested after police forced entry into their residence at about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The arrests occurred on the 500 block of Poplar Street in Carbondale.

The Southern Illinois Enforcement Group, a multiagency drug task force, raided an apartment on South Poplar Street Tuesday in Carbondale. Officer Jason Russel said the task force broke through the apartment door and used a flash bang grenade to disorient the inhabitants. Two males and one female were placed into custody. Authorities would not release the suspects’ names.
Natis Khalid Provided photo

Jason Russel from the Southern Illinois Enforcement Group, a multi-agency drug task force, said two officers broke in the apartment door and threw in a flash bang grenade to disorient the inhabitants. He said two males and one female were arrested.

Shashank Vedantham, a graduate student in computer science, lives in the apartment complex where the arrest occurred.Vedantham said he saw several police cars and officers surround the house and attempt to get in the door. When no one answered, the police kicked down the door and brought the suspects out, Vedantham said. There was no struggle, he said.

Multiple phone calls to the Carbondale Southern Illinois Enforcement Group were not returned by press time Tuesday. The Daily Egyptian was unable to verify whether the arrests were drug-related.

About Ben Conrady

Ben Conrady can be reached at bconrady@dailyegyptian.com or 536-3311 ext. 282.