Baseball team travels to Dallas Baptist for three-game series

By Joe Ragusa

Teams split two games last season

The Salukis played a rare Thursday game to kick off a three-game set against Dallas Baptist University, which junior first baseman Chris Serritella said was a little weird to

get used to.

“It’s my first time doing it, and you’re used to playing Friday-Saturday-Sunday,” Serritella said. “But certain things come up, and you’ve got to be able to handle that adversity.”

SIU (18-15, 5-4 Missouri Valley Conference) traveled to Dallas Baptist (21-10) for a three-game series that started Thursday because Dallas Baptist doesn’t play Sunday games for religious reasons. SIU comes off a 4-1 loss Tuesday to SEMO that coach Ken Henderson said was the worst offensive performance of the season, despite eight hits by the Salukis.

“We just didn’t have very good discipline or very good approaches (at the plate). We were a little out of character,” Henderson said.

Senior outfielder Jordan Sivertsen continued the hot streak that won him MVC Player of the Week honors last week by going 2-for-4 with a home run Tuesday.

“He’s seeing the ball well,” Henderson said. “When he stays disciplined (and) hits balls where they’re pitched, he’s very talented. He has phenomenal bat speed.”

Sivertsen leads the Valley with eight home runs this season, five of which have been hit in the last two weeks. Serritella is second in the Valley with eight home runs, despite going zero-for-four in Tuesday’s loss.

Serritella said it was difficult to say where the offense is at after getting eight hits off a SEMO pitching staff he said they should’ve gotten 15 off of, but they should be able to bounce back.

Henderson said the weekend rotation will remain the same despite a strong performance Tuesday by junior left-hander Nathan Dorris, who gave up three earned runs over seven innings in a losing effort. Henderson said he’ll re-evaluate the rotation after the weekend, although it’s likely that Dorris will start Wednesday against Tennessee-Martin.

Junior left-hander Cody Forsythe (2-1, 2.86 ERA) got the start Thursday against Dallas Baptist freshman right-hander Cy Sneed (5-2, 2.30 ERA). Forsythe went seven innings last season in a loss against Dallas Baptist, giving up two earned runs on 10 hits.

“They’ve got some new guys this year. Their big guy last year who led the nation in doubles (Jason Krizan) is gone,” Forsythe said. “But they’re a pretty solid team. They’re a little scrappy; they like to run a little bit, hit and run, do stuff like that and manufacture runs.”

Junior right-hander Cameron Maldonado (5-0, 4.78 ERA) gets the call Friday for the Salukis against Dallas Baptist senior right-hander Taylor Massey (5-2, 2.91 ERA). Maldonado gave up seven hits and two earned runs in four and two-thirds innings in the win against Dallas Baptist last season.

Saturday’s matchup will feature freshman right-hander Sam Coonrod (1-2, 4.25 ERA) in his second weekend start for the Salukis against Dallas Baptist junior left-hander Andrew Elkins (0-0, 4.34 ERA).

For Thursday’s results, check dailyegyptian.com.