Athletics battle low attendance

By Marcus Gruwell

Despite small increases at basketball games, low attendance at university athletic games still remains an issue officials are aiming to fix.

Many students have cited not attended games for reasons ranging from tailgate experience to team performance. While there are organizations like the Dawg Pound, a $15 membership that gives members perks such as a T-shirt and reserved seating at games, the issue still persists.

Athletic Director Mario Moccia said he and his staff have tried to fix the low attendance issue by creating student events for games, such as raffling tickets and giving out prizes during halftime.

“We have events made for students, like family weekend and homecoming, which usually brings a lot [of attendance] but besides those games, students do not really attend any others,” he said.

Many low attendance sports events include football, baseball and volleyball.

An average of more than 350 people attended volleyball home games in fall 2013. Other universities, such as Kansas State, have more than 2,000 attendees at volleyball home games.

Toward the end of the 2013 football season, an average of 5,700 people attended the last two SIU home games, with an average seasonal attendance of 8,554. North Dakota State, who the Salukis fell to 31-10 on Homecoming, had an average attendance of 18,622 for the season, while SIU defeated Northern Iowa 24- 17 in overtime on its Homecoming, and the Panthers have an average seasonal attendance of 12,572.

Several students believe the attendance problem is because of the various teams’ records. Ben Varga, a sophomore from Chicago studying special education, said the team’s performance is the reason he does not attend baseball games.

“I think what the teams just need to do is win,” he said. “By that happening, more people are going to want to attend and will enjoy themselves. ”

Gage Robbins, a senior from Lincoln studying history, said campus promotion is not enough to attract students to attend games.

“Considering we have brand new facilities and tickets are free for students, there should be no reason it shouldn’t be packed every game,” Robbins said.

Moccia said while fewer fans have come to most sporting events, basketball games attendance have increased in recent years.

“2006 was a tremendous year for us where attendance was at our highest, but since then has lowered,” he said. “A way we’ve tried to figure out the issue is by having surveys displayed on our websites asking what students think.”

Some students say they cannot attend games because they work or are just too busy with school.

Mike Karpenko, a sophomore from Chicago studying computer science, said he doesn’t have enough time to watch the games.

“I work and am taking a lot of classes, so for me it’s hard to be able to attend the games,” he said.

Ivan Vargas, a junior from New York City studying economics, said the location of SIU Arena and Saluki Stadium is a contributing factor to low attendance. He said one way to help increase student attendance would be to improve tailgating.

“I think that if they had more events on campus about sports and with making the tailgating experience better, and then we could definitely see a better crowd at football games,” he said.

Vargas said he believes students should come not just to watch the game and win prizes in events but to support the university as well.

“Being a [marching] band member, I feel that school spirit is an important part for students, and by coming to the games can help better the overall environment,” he said.

While many students agree there could be adjustments to the games, Logan Faucon, a senior from Mt. Pulaski studying criminal justice, said he enjoys watching them.

“It gives me something to do, being in the Dawg Pound and all, plus it’s free and I want to support my team,” he said.