Associate Provost position responsibilities to change

By Austin Flynn

Not only are administrators looking for a new associate provost of academic administration, but they are also looking for a new dean to absorb the position.

Susan Logue, who has held this position since July 2009, will retire from her job Oct. 1.

The university sent out a release that states it not only hopes to find a new associate provost but someone who could also work as a dean on another part of campus. The new position title remains nearly identical to the original, but will require the new administrator to take on only half of the responsibilities. Fifty percent of the job description is being reorganized, said Rod Sievers, university spokesman.

Logue said her job entails many responsibilities, including assisting the provost to oversee and manage personnel and budgetary matters such as academic hiring, promotion and tenure, salary adjustment, sabbaticals and other leaves. She said she also assists deans and other administrators around campus in matters of collective bargaining agreement interpretation and application.

Provost John Nicklow said the new job will help cut costs for the school, which will help to reduce some of the position’s responsibilities.

“The 50 percent is a result of reorganization within the provost’s office that was undertaken as part of broader cost-saving measures,” Nicklow said in an email. “For example, some of the units/persons currently reporting to the associate provost for academic administration will report to me after October 1st.”

Seivers said while the position has changed, exact details about the modifications are yet to be determined.

Nicklow said the deadline to apply for the new position ended Aug. 31, and interviews will start soon.

“The search is progressing well,” Nicklow said. “The search committee is reviewing applications, and interviews will occur in September.”

He said he doesn’t like to see Logue leave, but he thinks the school will find a capable replacement.

“(Logue) has been a tremendous asset to this institution and has made countless contributions at the campus level,” Nicklow said. “Nevertheless, I wish her well in retirement, and I look forward to bringing on an individual that will maintain the level of service and contributions that the office has had.”