Artists play on their transpoetic playground

By Jake Saunder

Twice a month, the tasteful venue Global Gourmet runs an evening in which an ever-expanding group of individuals present creative works of art.

This event, known as the Transpoetic Playground, is not merely as much a group of people as it is a place of cordial acceptance and of freedom. Event host Zachary Seibert said the grounds on which the poetry has been heard have been shifted from one venue to another, arriving now at Global Gourmet, though the melody of the poetry has remained resilient.

“This event was actually created by members of the speech communication department,” he said. “Many years ago, it was originally Metalingua Franca and is now the Transpoetic Playground and has been for some years.”

Even though former members and past organizers have left town for their various and respective vocations, the event persists, he said.

“To keep things organized, I have stepped in as the default host,” Seibert said.

Seibert has been a part of Transpoetic for many years; His first poetry reading occurred in 2008 and he was solidified as a reoccurring member in late 2009.

“Transpoetic is one of the only poetry groups I’ve been a part of, in any state in the country that I’ve done them in, where people actually live up to the idea that we are an open community of poets, where anyone is welcome to the mic,” Seibert said.

The event showcases many diverse artists that present their crafts uniquely and engage in an array of subjects, if not all of them. From love and harmony to fracking and politics – anyone may speak openly about any number of topics. Raisa Phillips, an artist who has been attending since May, became more involved with the group in late August.

“I enjoy the variety, there are so many styles of poets here, there are performance poets, off-the-page poets, very serious poets – you really get a wide variety of people but I also enjoy the opportunity to come out and be with other poets and share my work and experience their works, and it can be really inspiring,” Phillips said.

Phillips said she has been writing poetry her whole life, since she was capable of writing.

“(Transpoetic) became a very fulfilling venue and experience for me to not only further my own development as a poet but as a performer,” she said. “It has really become a part of my identity now.”

Of the many people who have been a rotating part of the Transpoetic machine, many may fall away as pieces find suitability elsewhere. However, potential members are continually around.

“Here it has been the most stable home for [Transpoetic],” an artist known as Treesong said. “I really enjoy the variety of poets and their dedication to poetry. When I first started reading poetry I was just reading words off of a page, and I learned from people here how to perform it as an art form.”

Many poets at the venue feel a connection and warmth among the followers of Transpoetic Playground, however they are always eager for new faces to help the event to grow abundantly. The people are fascinating and their works equally inspiring.

“We encourage literally everyone to come to the mic,” Seibert said. “People get warm welcomes, very low rivalry and the ability to actually express themselves and use this place as a venue for the continuation of their own artistic process, instead of it turning into a disgusting popularity contest that can happen in other poetic groups around the country. I just like the spirit of this event.”

Transpoetic Playground presents at Global Gourmet every other Monday evening. Their next event will occur at 9 p.m. Dec. 2.

Jake Saunders can be reached at

[email protected]

or at 536-3311 ext. 254.