Alumni Association rewards students with books

By Adie Applegate

Almost all courses at SIU require textbooks and the costs never seem to subside, but for a few Salukis, those textbooks just became free.

On Tuesday evening, the SIU Alumni Association awarded 49 students for their academic achievements with textbook scholarships.

These students had all of their textbooks for the semester paid for because of their 3.0 grade point average as well as their commitment to applying for academic financial benefits.

Timothy Marlo, who has handled the association’s finances for nine years, said more than $20,000 is awarded among the 49 recipients.

The award is for students who need financial help, but need more than they are receiving. By paying for their textbooks, the association fills a gap that normally would not be filled.

Marlo said the recipients of the award filled out an Alumni Association survey, which they received in their school email. The association then chose students who met specific criteria.

This is the fifth year the awards have been given to students and the first year the Alumni Association worked with Saluki Cares, a foundation helping students in need, to find recipients.

“They help with everything a student needs, from housing to textbooks, they’re always helping,” Marlo said.

All recipients stood near administrative members in front of family and friends in the student center ballroom.

“It’s a ceremony that connects higher administration to its students in a clear way,” Marlo said.

Others who appeared at the ceremony included the Associate Vice Chancellor and Executive Director of the SIU Alumni Association Michelle Suarez, Chancellor Rita Cheng and the President- Elect of the SIU Alumni Association Board of Directors Mike Kasser.

“Of all the things the Alumni Association does, this is the one that gives us the most positive feedback,” Kasser said. “It makes us proud to be truly helping our students.”

Bianca Alaniz, a junior from North Chicago studying psychology and a recipient of the award, said she was more than grateful to receive the award.

“This is something you definitely want to give back to,” she said. “It has been so helpful and I feel so blessed.”

Prior recipients of the award felt the same way.

“I am blessed to be a part of a university that cares about the success of their students,” Natasha Hammonds, a junior from West Frankfort studying radiological sciences, said. “Thank you for this experience and scholarship to help me come one step closer to my dreams, I am very thankful.”

For current students, it is important to understand the different ways the Alumni Association can help while they are still enrolled, not only after they have graduated, Marlo said.

“We’re here to help and support our current students just as much as we are our alumni,” he said. “We can help with various things like networking and internships. Students just have to realize that we are here.”

Adie Applegate can be reached at aapplegate@dailyegyptian, on Twitter @adisonapple or 536-3311 ext. 268.