Fifth Saluki advances to 2016 NCAA Championships
Senior thrower and four-time All-American Josh Freeman on Saturday became the fifth member of the Saluki track and field team to qualify for the NCAA Championships this year.
Freeman finished 11th in the NCAA West Regional Division I preliminaries at Kansas University with a heave of 18.61m (61-0.75). This is the third time he has qualified for the national championship.
Also representing SIU are seniors Deanna Price (thrower), Bradley Sauers (thrower), Chrissa Harris (400-meter dash) and Kyle Landon (high jump).
Ten other Salukis competed in the regional competition but did not advance:
- Warren Hazel (400m, 19th place, 47.07)
- Jemar Jones (110m hurdles, 32nd place, 14.33)
- Jonathan Walsh (pole vault, 30th place, 16′-10″)
- Nathan Schuck (pole vault, NH)
- Franklin Adams, (long jump, 39th place, 22′-11.75″)
- Mystique Thompson (100 meter dash, 34th place, 11.86)
- Ashanna Hodge (100m hurdles, 32nd place, 59.91)
- Cara Engel (pole vault, 36th place, 12′-06.25″)
- Alexus Scott (shot put, 22nd place, 51′-09.75″)
- Freya Block (hammer throw, 23rd place, 192′-08″)
The NCAA Championships will take place in Eugene, Ore. from June 8-11.