Concealed carry classes offered at SIU

By Kia Smith

Despite concealed carry being banned on campus, classes are now being offered on SIU property to learn how to conceal and carry firearms. 

Train Illinois, a firearms instruction agency, is hosting concealed carry classes at SIU’s Touch of Nature in Makanda.

While it is offered to SIU students, it is not an accredited class funded by the university, Tim Giblin, an instructor at Train Illinois said.

“This class is hosted on campus, however, students cannot take it as an accredited class,” he said. “The classes provide a safe environment for people 20 years old and older to learn how not to shoot yourself.”

Individuals 20 years or older, are provided 16 hours of class training if they are beginners, and eight hours of class training if they are experienced. The classes also allow students to practice with live firearms once classroom time is complete.

Lori Stettler, the assistant vice chancellor for auxiliary services, said the university consulted the Department of Public Safety and the university’s legal counsel before making the decision.

“We consulted with the Department of Public Safety and decided since Touch of Nature is not on the university’s main property, it would be an appropriate facility to host these classes,” she said.

Stettler said the classes would be taught when the facilities are not occupied by anyone else.

“We believe that Touch of Nature is an appropriate place to host these classes and to produce revenue for the department, and we will only use the range when there are no other programs going on in the vicinity,” she said.

Giblin would not disclose how much Train Illinois is paying the university to offer the class on SIU property.

According to the recently passed conceal and carry law, a public or private community college cannot prohibit persons from carrying a firearm for the purpose of instruction and curriculum of officially recognized programs.

Giblin said Train Illinois teaches students all the laws concerning firearms, as well as proper firearm safety.

“We provide all the equipment, we have classes taught by licensed police officers and we do more background checks than most police departments,” he said. “Our students are actually the most trained students in the state.”

Despite the strict safety precautions and trained professionals, some students have reservations about how this class will affect the student population.

Jeremy Baldwin, a freshman from Chicago studying criminal justice, said while he had reservations about certain people owning guns, anyone should be allowed to conceal and carry if he follows the law.

“The cons of offering these classes are you never really know what someone else will do with a gun. Just because you’re allowed to conceal and carry, doesn’t mean someone will abide by the rules,” he said. “However, if you put the time and effort into having the privilege to carry guns, then you should be allowed those privileges.”

Baldwin is not old enough to take the class. However when he becomes old enough the class is definitely necessary, he said.

“I think everyone needs protection of some sort,” he said. “In order to get that, you must know how to properly operate, clean and use a gun.”

Lloyd Coakley, a freshman from Bellville studying anthropology, believes education is important if a person wants to own a firearm.

“The use of firearms is a near constant in our society,” he said. “I think it’s important for students to know how to be around them and handle them safely.”

Coakley said stricter gun laws would not prohibit a person from illegally obtaining a firearm.

“Advocacy is redundant in the first place,” he said. “Whether it’s legally or illegally, if a person wants to procure a firearm, they’re going to do just that, and most of the time, it will be through an illegal channel. I don’t think the result, nor purpose of the class, is to stop us, but to educate us to be more safe with them.”

Giblin said the classes will prove to be very beneficial to the students.

“You’re less likely to get attacked if you know how to use a firearm, and if you’re responsible, there shouldn’t be any negativity about owning a gun,” he said.

However, Sarah Mitchell, a junior from Elmhurst studying photojournalism, said she is worried the classes might encourage students to conceal and carry on campus.

“In an ideal world, I think that no one should have to carry guns,” she said. “People could get really trigger-happy, and there could be accidents. A lot more violence could occur than we need on campus when there’s really no reason for guns on campus. The classes could be useful, but I think someone being able to walk in class and conceal a gun would make me feel very unsafe.”

Classes are being offered April 5 and 6. For more information, visit trainillinois.org or call 618-534-5085.

Kia Smith can be reached at [email protected] on Twitter @KiaSmith__ or 536-3311 ext. 268