SIU track and field takes home more MVC titles; men finish 2nd, women 3rd

By Tyler Davis, @TDavis_DE

A century-old record was broken as SIU track and field teams each finished in the top three of the Missouri Valley Conference Outdoor Championships this weekend in Terre Haute, Ind.

The Saluki men (132 points) finished second in conference to Wichita Sate (206), and the women (117) finished third behind Northern Iowa (133) and Wichita State (155.5).

And as far as individuals go, the Dawgs received arguably the highest honors. 

Senior DeAnna Price and junior Kyle Landon were named the most outstanding field athletes — the second consecutive year SIU swept the awards. 

Twelve Salukis were named to all-conference honorees after placing in the top three of their events Sunday. 

Price became the second thrower in Valley history to win both the hammer throw and shot put — which she won for the third time — in the same competition. 

Landon finished fourth in the triple jump and long jump after winning the high jump on Saturday for the third consecutive season. 

Junior Chrissa Harris set the 400-meter dash record at Gibson Track & Field Complex with a time of 53.28 — the second-fastest in SIU history. Freshman Warren Hazel helped the Salukis sweep the competition with a time of 46.18 in 400 meter.

Sophomore Kezia Martin (12.36 meters) won the triple jump for the final first-place finish for the Dawgs.

The SIU team of senior Remy Abrought, freshman Tyjuana Eason and sophomore Mystique Thompson finished third in the 4×100 women’s relay. Thompson also picked up all-conference selections in the 100- and 200-meter dashes over the weekend.

Other all-conference honorees Sunday include seniors Josh Freeman (discus), Jonathan Walsh (pole vault) and Ashanna Hodge (400-meter hurdle). On Saturday Freeman (18.86 meters) became the first person in the MVC’s 108-year history to win four-straight outdoor shot put titles. 

SIU will be back in action May 26 to 28 for the NCAA Midwest Regionals in Lawrence, Kan.

Tyler Davis can be reached at [email protected]