Women’s tennis can’t advance past second round

By Brent Meske

The women’s tennis team traveled to Tulsa, Okla. this weekend for their toughest tournament of the year.

Four players traveled to the ITA Regional Tournament and combined to win seven matches, but none after the second round. The team improved on last year’s results at the ITA tournament when it only won four matches.

In the singles qualifying bracket, senior Ariadna Cairo Baza and freshman Athena Chrysanthou both won a match before losing in the second round.

Junior Ana Gasparovic from Iowa State defeated Baza in straight sets 6-3, 6-1. Chrysanthou lost her second round match to freshman Smith Hinton from Kansas 6-2, 6-0.

Monaghan also participated in the singles qualifying bracket and won her first and second round matches. By winning two matches, she advanced to the Regional Main Draw.

Monaghan defeated freshman Tess Herder of Drake University in straight sets but was then defeated by sophomore Rongrong Leenabanchong of University of Tulsa, 6-3, 6-4. Leenabanchong was the No. 6 singles player at the tournament.

Senior Natasha Tomishima also made the singles Regional Main Draw.

Tomishima lost in the first round to freshman Viktoriya Lushkova 6-4, 6-1. Lushkova was the No. 1 singles player in the tournament and will play in the semi-finals.

The duo of Monaghan and Tomishima played in the Regional Doubles Main Draw. Going into the tournament the duo had a record of 7-2 and was undefeated at the Saluki Fall Classic.

The duo defeated sophomore Lexi Aranda and junior Sierra Halverson from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville 8-3. They lost to Oklahoma State’s freshman duo of Katarina Adamovic and Vladica Babic.

Chrysanthou and Baza’s doubles team also went 1-1.

In the first round, they defeated senior Amelie Amsallem and sophomore Mariam Kurasbediani 8-2. They then lost in the second round to Iowa’s senior duo of Morven McCulloch and Ellen Silver 8-3.

The team will travel to Jonesboro, AR. from Nov. 7 to Nov. 9 for the Arkansas State Tournament. It will be the team’s final tournament of the fall season.

Brent Meske can be reached by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at brentmeskeDE.