SIU cross-country, a family affair

SIU cross-country, a family affair

By Brent Meske

Sports teams tend to act as family and this year, part of the women’s cross-country team actually is.

Senior Sadie Darnell has been on the team since 2011. Last season, she led the team to its first conference title since 1992 and became an All-MVC runner. She is also a two-time MVC Scholar-Athlete.

Her sister, freshman Claire Darnell has raced in two events to start her SIU career; she finished 16th and 87th in those meets.

Claire ran on the 4×800 meter relay team that won the state championship with Festus High School. She also ran in the 1600 and 3200 meter races.

Sadie said the exercise science program and her individual success were both reasons for Claire to come race for SIU.

“[Claire] knows I have been successful here, and we have a good program for what she wants to major in,” Sadie said. “It was comforting for her to come here and the distance from home helped.”

Sadie said there is a big difference between running in high school and running in college, mainly the distance. In college, races are 8k compared to the 5k races in high school. She said she has progressed a lot since her freshman year, and hopes Claire can too.

Although Sadie has had success, coach David Beauchem said it is not Claire’s job to fill her role on the team after Sadie graduates.

“Claire is not here to replace Sadie; Claire is here to be Claire,” Beauchem said. “She is not trying to replace Sadie. That is not the expectation or direction I have for Claire’.” Claire said she has no heightened expectations because she is Sadie’s sister. Claire said she is trying to learn her role on the team and improve on her times.

“[Claire] has a lot of potential,” Sadie said. “If she keeps building mileage and pushing herself, she will get faster and step up on the team. My freshman year is actually pretty close to where she is now.”

Beauchem said staying healthy and building experience will help Claire develop as a runner.

Brent Meske can be reached at [email protected].