Carbondale working to fix ‘large water main break’

Water fills the road Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2017, after a water main break on South Wall Street between East Grand Avenue and East Park Street. (Athena Chrysanthou | @Chrysant1Athena)

By Daily Egyptian staff

Carbondale officers are at the scene of a large water main break on South Wall Street between East Grand Avenue and East Park Street, police said Tuesday night.

Just before 9 p.m., police said the city’s Public Works Department was on its way to the scene. Authorities advised the public to use alternative routes as they are unsure when the road will be reopened.

SIU students posted to social media throughout the night, saying they did not have water at their homes. It is unclear which parts of the city were effected by the water main break.

Brad Dillard, the university’s associate director of facilities, said Tuesday night that campus facilities were fully operational following a temporary loss of pressure.

The main line that supplies water for parts of the city was still under repair around 11 p.m. Tuesday, Dillard said. But he added that physical plant employees were able to bypass the broken line and return water service to normal function for the campus.

The Daily Egyptian’s campus desk can be reached at 618-536-3397 or [email protected].

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.