Clothing donations are needed for the new program, Career Closet

By Olivia Spiers

The Student Multicultural Resource Center’s recently added program, Career Closet, is holding a clothing drive starting Monday through Feb. 10 to help ensure students look sharp for all their interviews.

The center, based out of Grinnell Hall, is asking for gently used business attire for students to borrow for professional situations, said Ayomide Adeleye, graduate assistant at the Sustainability Office .

The closet is accepting complete suits and outfits, as well as separate pieces.

All donated items should be clean and in new condition so students can feel confident when interviewing, she said.

The goal is to help students launch their professional careers while breathing new life into quality professional attire, assuring good pieces are used rather than ending up in landfills, according to a news release posted on the university website.

The drop-off locations and times for the clothing drive are as follows:

• Student Multicultural Resource Center on the lower level of Grinnell Hall — 1 to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday
  • Area office in Lentz Hall – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Member Services on the second floor of the Student Recreation Center — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Innovation and Sustainability Hub on the main floor of the Student Center — 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

The Career Closet hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday. For more information, call 618-453-3740 or 618-453-7993.

Correction: An earlier report indicated the Career Closet is affiliated with the Business Placement Center in the College of Business. The College of Business provides a similar service with the same name that is exclusive to students studying business. Donations to that program can be made between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday in Rehn Hall. We regret the error.

Staff writer Olivia Spiers can be reached at [email protected], 618-536-3325 or on Twitter @_spierso.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.