Freshman vaults her competition

By Brent Meske, @brentmeskeDE

It took only one collegiate event for freshman pole vaulter Lindsey Murray to set SIU’s indoor school record. On Saturday, Murray broke it again.

Murray’s jump of 4.10 meters at the Vanderbilt Invite on Saturday with surpassed her height of 4.02 meters on Dec. 6, 2014—which topped the previous record set by Miracle Thompson in 2010.

At the Kentucky Invite on Jan. 17, Murray was unable to top her school record, but still won the event with a height 4.00 meters.

“I always have high expectations for myself, so I wanted to come out with a big start,” Murray said. “I kind of expected it.”

When Murray first broke SIU’s record, she was still close to two inches off of her personal best of 4.06 meters, which set the all-time Illinois girls record and won her the Illinois state title her senior year.

Murray said the transition from high school to college has been a lot to handle, but she has already seen improvements in her jumping.

“It’s a whole new ballgame,” she said. “But with the training and practicing over the winter, plus the coaching, everything has improved since getting here.”

Murray has made the transition seamlessly and said her teammates are to thank for that.

“I couldn’t do it without them,” she said. “When it comes to workouts and seeing the little things I need to improve on they’ve really helped me out.”

The all-time NCAA record in women’s pole vault has been broken three times in the last two weeks. Murray, who is currently ranked No. 12 in the nation, said she hopes to be in the competition at the National Championships.

“I’m taking [my goals] by steps,” she said. “The first was to achieve the school record and by the end of the year I want be All-American and make it to the National Championships as a freshman.”

Murray and the SIU Track and Field team will compete Friday in Bloomington, Ind.

Brent Meske can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311 ext. 269