The student news site of Southern Illinois University

Rain delays Pokémon GO with SIU police until Monday

Pokémon GO. (Niantic, Inc.)

TNS

TNS

Pokémon GO. (Niantic, Inc.)

By Anna Spoerre

SIU police are postponing their event to play Pokémon GO with the community.

“It is with sadness we report that Pokemon w/the Police is postponed until next Monday, due to So. Much. Rain,” SIU police tweeted today. “Let others know as needed.”

SIU Police Sgt. Chad Beights said the event was originally planned after police noticed how many people were outside playing in the evening.

“We figured it would be a good way for us to get into the community,” he said.

MORE: Pokemon Go developer is top game-app maker in 45 countries

Beights said police will also use the opportunity to discuss trespassing laws and precautions that should be taken when playing at night.

Beights, who learned about the game from his son, said at least five officers, including himself, are planning to join students next week.

The event, which the Department of Public Safety is calling “Pokémon with the police,” will be from 3 to 5 p.m. Aug. 22 at Shyrock Auditorium.

“This is an informal way to meet several SIU police officers,” according to a flyer the department tweeted last week. “Feel free to play Pokémon GO with the police officers and/or other students.”

The first 20 participants will get a gift card for a free 16-ounce shaken ice tea from Blend Tea and Crepe Lounge on South University Avenue, police said.

Features editor Anna Spoerre can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @annaspoerre

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Rain delays Pokémon GO with SIU police until Monday”

1. Jack Dorsey on August 15th, 2016 11:05 pm

It’s a fun game but they should just fix these stupid bugs. Personally it took me ages to get to level 20. I decided to get a good accountt for cheap. Rly happy with being 30, I dont like leveling with all these bugs :)( If anyone wanna know i got it at pogomania (just add .com)

[Reply]

2. Victoria on August 16th, 2016 7:52 am

Thanks for the useful information.
    Guys, I found this free Pokecoin Generator and it worked very well for me http://34.gs/FreePokeCoinsGen You are welcome 🙂

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.