lauren budget

Monday

Recruitment w/photo?

MCMA is supposedly kick ass with their recruitment strategies. So I’ll talk to Gary Kolb, dean, and a few more who would have a clue about what MCMA does to recruit, and retain students. The college just had its 2nd annual Expo Recruitment Nov. 10. It won’t be the focus of my story but I’ll mention it.

Tuesday

Lecture w/ photo

President Obama’s 2008 Campaign Manager, David Plouffe is going to be giving a lecture Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. Plouffe is considered one of the top campaign strategists in the country and is rumored to be named Senior Adviser to the President in the spring. I’ll talk to Sam Nylen, president for the College Dems, David Yepsen, David Plouffe if he’s available, and a few students. I’ll get most of the story done prior to the actual event that night.

Friday

Route8 w/ photo

Saluki Express Route 8, which rarely being used when it had stops throughout campus, was rerouted further south on 51 near the Reserve and the campus stops were taken out. The route runs from 9:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. Students and people of Carbondale were being stranded out at the bars at night, so with a lot of support from students and USG, the Route was changed to reduce the number of drunk drivers. Dave Loftus, of USG, showed me a report, and in comparison to last year’s ridership, the number has increased 336 friggin ‘percent (from 156 in Sept. 2009 to about 850 in Sept. 2010), which is pretty kick ass and prove it was worth it. Soooo, with less drunks either having to drive or walk the length of 51, I want to find out opinions from students, campus police and city police about the route’s success. It’s nice to see students listened to, and then have the change be successful.