By Sanjay Seth – City Writer

Voter registration drive targets students

The Graduate and Professional Student Council will hold a registration drive for students to vote in spring City Council elections, an important process in providing a voice for students in city affairs, Susan Hall, president of GPSC said. Hall said registration will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dara Lawyer, the coordinator of the drive, said the council makes many decisions affecting students. Students should, in turn, make an effort to vote for the new council members as this will inadvertently affect them. About 3,000 students voted in the last council elections, Lawyer said. We would like to see more students register in this drive. We have to realize that we have the power to affect who goes in the council and how they represent our needs, she said. In the past, the City Council has made important decisions affecting students ranging from anti-keg laws and the scrapping of the Halloween celebration. Lawyer said a new city tax that would involve more than $1 million from students, as compared to a much smaller amount from residents of Carbondale, was another good reason for students to get involved. The Jan. 23 primary will consist of nine contenders and the field will be narrowed to four in the April 20 elections. Two council members will be elected from four candidates to serve in the City Council. In February, GPSC also plans to co-sponsor a candidates’ forum, Hall said. This forum will be debate-style, and it will be a good opportunity for students and others to judge the candidates for themselves, Hall said. She said it was important the candidates be given the chance to present their credentials at the forum and this would also be an opportune time for questions. Hall said the first forum will be at 7 p.m. on Feb. 15 in the Student Center Auditorium. A second forum will be held before the elections. Registrants must be residents of Jackson County and provide two forms of identification.