Students will have an opportunity to express their views concerning three issues when they vote in campuswide elections today. A referendum on the proposed $15-per-semester athletic fee increase will appear on the student trustee ballot, which gives a voice to all students. Undergraduates also will find referendums on the bar-entry age and a possible 50 cent-per-student fee increase to fund a lobb

The athletic-fee increase is a result of SIUC’s decision to comply with the Illinois Board of Higher Education’s recommendation to eliminate University dependence on state funding to pay for athletic programs. While it is true that state money could be better spent, it is unreasonable for students to be saddled with more of the education-funding burden, particularly when most students do not participate in athletics.

Athletic programs provide scholarship opportunities for students who otherwise might not be able to afford college. It has been argued that they also generate revenue for the University through alumni support and television appearances. However, it seems that if athletic programs draw that much outside money, they would be self-sufficient by now and no fee hike would be necessary. Until SIUC does some in-depth research into the alternatives, students should deny any request for fee increases to fund these programs.

The USG ballot includes a referendum concerning a fee increase to make SIUC a member of the United States Student Association, a nonprofit, non-partisan student lobby.

The fee hike would give USG full membership benefits in the group, including an on-campus organizer and regular letters to members of Congress on student issues. Supporters of the increase have argued that it is less than the price of a cup of coffee. This may be true, but the question USG fails to answer is Why bother?

SIUC students have demonstrated their apathetic attitude time and again. The benefits of joining the group are nothing concerned students cannot do on their own. And even if the organization is a worthy cause, 50 cents is too much for SIUC students to pay for participation in a group that is in no way affiliated with the University. If students have some spare change, the DE strongly recommends the java.

The second USG referendum involves the bar-entry age. Whether we agree with it or not, Illinois law requires citizens to be 21 before they can legally consume alcohol. The primary purpose of a bar is to promote drinking. If students are too young to drink legally, allowing them into bars only creates unnecessary temptation for patrons and employees alike. The bottom line:If you’re too young to drink, you’re too young to go to the bars. Perhaps driving underage students out of the bars will force local business owners to come up with a new venue for those Carbondale residents who cannot or do not choose to drink. The DE encourages students to take this into consideration when they cast their votes today.

Regardless of their opinion on these issues, it is of the utmost importance that students turn out at the polls today to express their views. SIUC has given its students a voice. We need to raise that voice loud and clear and show the administration and the city what we think. The DE’s suggestions reflect only the views of its editorial board. If students want their views known, it is time to express them.