Saluki sophomore hitter out for season

Saluki sophomore hitter out for season

By Evan Jones, @EvanJones_DE

Sophomore middle hitter Anna Himan had surgery to repair a torn hip labrum in her right leg during the offseason and will miss the entire 2015 season.

Two days after her July 10 surgery, Himan began her six-month rehabilitation. With a focus on range of motion and strength training at this time, Himan understands it is a long road to recovery.

“I have two more weeks on crutches,” Himan said. “I’m progressing back into walking normally right now.”

Himan is a scholarship athlete for the SIU volleyball team, which will not change anytime this year. 

“If I’m not doing what I’m supposed to be doing there will be consequences,” Himan said. “If I don’t get back to my full potential coach can pull my scholarship.” 

The use of a medical redshirt has not been discussed at this time.

The projected front line for the 2015 SIU volleyball team is loaded with returning talent.

Sophomore outside hitter Andrea Estrada led the Salukis with 322 kills, and senior middle hitter Taylor Pippen posted a .410 hitting efficiency last season.

“It’s more competitive now,” Estrada said. “Being down a girl really heightens the practice intensity.” 

With Himan sidelined it could mean experienced hitters will not be able to take a break. 

“Any time you lose anybody at any position it will change how you practice and it will affect your depth,” coach Justin Ingram said. “We hope she comes back at full strength and is able to compete for a spot.”

In her freshman year, Himan played in 30 sets and averaged 0.8 kills and 0.77 blocks per set.

With five days of rehab a week, Himan hopes to return from injury and do so at a higher competitive level. 

Evan Jones can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @EvanJones_DE.