Tuition and fee increases coming to SIUE in the fall

By Koran Addo, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees on Thursday approved a nearly $700 tuition increase for the 2016-17 academic year.

The tuition hike follows Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner’s proposal for a 20 percent cut to Illinois’ public colleges and universities.

The increase will affect only next year’s incoming freshman. Under state law, Illinois college students are locked into the rate they paid their first year of school, meaning current students are spared any tuition hikes.

MORE: Board raises tuition at both campuses, Colwell says SIUC will open a food pantry for its students

The increase means that incoming, in-state, full-time undergraduates will pay $8,352 a year.

In-state tuition rates are also available to students from Missouri, Arkansas, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

“Even with this increase, SIUE is still at the midpoint among our peers in the Midwest for tuition,” interim Chancellor Stephen Hansen said. “SIUE offers the second-lowest tuition among Illinois public universities.”

The board also approved a nearly $300 annual increase for graduate students effective this fall. It means that in-state, full-time graduate students will pay $7,320 in yearly tuition.

Tuition will remain flat for students enrolled in the School of Dental Medicine and in the School of Pharmacy. In-state students in those schools pay $29,124 and $23,448 respectively each year.

The board also made a number of changes to the fees students pay for different student services.

Fee changes will take effect in the fall. They are as follows:

—University housing rates will increase 1 percent.

—The information technology fee will increase from $7.35 per credit to $7.55.

—Textbook rental fees will increase to $510, up from $489.

—The student welfare and activity fee will increase to $239.20, up from $236.

—The facilities fee will increase to $619.50, up from $601.50.

—The University Center fee will increase to $354, up from $343.50.

—Full-time undergraduates will pay an annual intercollegiate athletics fee of $375.90, up from $363.40.

—The dining services fee will increase by 3.1 percent per semester for students living in university housing on the mandatory meal plan.

Koran Addo — 314-340-8305, @KoranAddo, k[email protected]

___

(c)2016 the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Visit the St. Louis Post-Dispatch at www.stltoday.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.