SEMO students identified as suspects in Easter Sunday shooting

By Bill Lukitsch and Luke Nozicka, Daily Egyptian

Carbondale police have identified two Southeast Missouri State University students wanted in connection with an Easter Sunday shooting that left one man dead and put another in the hospital.

Arrest warrants for Travis Tyler, 21, of Hazelwood, Mo., and John Ingram, 21, of Webster Groves, Mo., were issued Wednesday, Jackson County State’s Attorney Michael Carr said in a news release. The suspects are wanted for aggravated battery with a firearm and aggravated discharge of a firearm. Both charges are felonies. 

Tyler and Ingram are likely in the St. Louis area, according to police. The two men are considered to be armed and dangerous and a $1 million bond has been set for each suspect, police said. 

SEMO student Dwayne Dunn Jr., 21, of St. Louis, was the first suspect arrested and charged with reckless discharge of a firearm in connection to this case. His bond was set at $500,000 by Judge Kimberly Dahlen on Tuesday and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 21.

All three students were placed on interim suspension and are not allowed on university premises pending the completion of a criminal investigation, according to a SEMO news release. 

Police responded to reports of shots fired about 2 a.m. Sunday in the 400 block of West Walnut Street. Upon arrival Carbondale police said a large crowd of people was seen dispersing and leaving the scene. Investigating officers learned an altercation between two men at the party led to the shooting. Shots were fired inside and outside the house, police said. 

Tim Beaty, 41, was an uninvolved bystander killed by a stray bullet in his home next door, police said during a press conference Monday. A second victim, Nehemiah Greenlee, was taken to Carbondale Memorial Hospital for a non-life threatening injury and later transferred to a St. Louis-area hospital where he is being treated, police said. 

The charges against Tyler and Ingram are related to causing injury to Greenlee, and the investigation into Beaty’s death is ongoing, Carr said. 

MORE: 3 days, 3 people shot in Carbondale

The Southeast Missouri Department of Public Safety and the Cape Girardeau Police Department have been assisting SIU police and the Carbondale Police Department since Sunday.

Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to contact the Carbondale Police Department at 618-457-3200 or Crime Stoppers at 618-549-COPS (2677).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

The Daily Egyptian’s campus desk can be reached at 618-536-3325.