Suspect wanted in Easter shooting has turned himself in

By Bill Lukitsch, @Bill_LukitschDE

One of the suspects wanted in the Easter Sunday shooting that left one man dead and put another in the hospital has surrendered himself to authorities.

Southeast Missouri State University student John Ingram, 21, of Webster Groves, Mo., turned himself in at the Jackson County Jail about 7 p.m. Thursday. He was arrested on two active warrants for aggravated battery with a firearm and aggravated discharge of a firearm.

Police responded to reports of shots fired about 2 a.m. March 27 in the 400 block of West Walnut Street. Upon arrival, Carbondale police said a large crowd of people leaving the party there. Investigating officers learned an altercation between two men at the party led to the shooting. Shots were fired inside and outside the house, police said. 

Tim Beaty, 41, was killed by a stray bullet in his home next door, police said during a press conference March 28. A second victim, Nehemiah Greenlee, was taken to Carbondale Memorial Hospital for a non-life threatening injury and later transferred to a St. Louis-area hospital where he was treated, police said. 

Ingram is due in court Monday for a bond hearing, according to a news release from Jackson County State’s Attorney Michael Carr. 

A third suspect, SEMO student Travis Tyler, is still at large and should be considered armed and dangerous, police said. Tyler, 21, of Hazelwood, Mo., is wanted for two felony charges and a $1 million nationwide warrant was issued for his arrest Wednesday, Jackson County State’s Attorney Michael Carr said in a news release.

Daniel Holmes, who is also wanted in connection with a shooting at Evolve Apartments at SIU on March 29, has been named a fourth suspect wanted in connection with the case. A nationwide arrest warrant was issued Friday, Carr’s office said. 

Tyler is suspected to be in the St. Louis area, police said, and the whereabouts of Holmes were not known as of Sunday. 

SEMO student Dwayne Dunn Jr., 21, of St. Louis, was the first suspect arrested and charged with reckless discharge of a firearm in connection to this case. His bond was set at $500,000 by Judge Kimberly Dahlen on March 29 and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 21.

The three SEMO students were placed on interim suspension and are not allowed on university premises pending the completion of a criminal investigation, according to a SEMO news release. 

The charges against Tyler and Ingram are related to injuries sustained by Greenlee. The investigation into Beaty’s death is ongoing, Carr said, and no charges had been filed as of Sunday. 

The Southeast Missouri Department of Public Safety and the Cape Girardeau Police Department have been assisting SIU police and the Carbondale Police Department since March 27.

Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to contact the Carbondale Police Department at 618-457-3200 or Crime Stoppers at 618-549-COPS (2677).

Bill Lukitsch can be reached at 618-536-3325 or [email protected]