Carbondale man dies from gunshot wounds amid spike in gun violence

By Luke Nozicka and Tyler Davis, Daily Egyptian

2016 is shaping up to be one of the worst years for Carbondale gun violence in recent history.

What was once an aggravated discharge of a firearm investigation has turned into the second homicide investigation this year for the Carbondale Police Department. 

David Stockstill Jr., of Carbondale, was shot Feb. 1 and died from his injuries April 6, according to a Carbondale police news release on Wednesday.

The 28-year-old was treated for his injuries at Memorial Hospital of Carbondale before being transferred to a St. Louis-area hospital where he was pronounced dead.

It is unclear where and why Stockstill was shot, police say. Police originally believed Stockstill’s injuries were non-life-threatening. He had a listed address in Mound City as well.

The Carbondale Police Department is offering $5,000 to anyone with tips that lead to the arrest of the shooter.

There have been seven shootings — two fatal — in which at least one person was injured since January, according to data obtained by WSIL-TV.

Carbondale police reported one shooting in all of 2015, which was fatal, and six in 2014, none of which were fatal, the television station reported last week. 

Below is where and when the seven shootings in Carbondale occurred this year, according to WSIL. 

• 9:31 p.m. Jan. 20 on East Chestnut Street, where one person suffered a non-fatal injury.
  • 5:55 p.m. Jan. 30 in the 400 block of South Cedarview Street, where SIU student Spencer DePue suffered a non-fatal injury. DePue said doctors told him the bullet fractured his collarbone, ricocheted outward and chipped one neck vertebra near his spine. 

• 2:44 p.m. Feb. 1 in the 400 block of West Jackson Street, the same day police say Stockstill was shot.
  • 9:35 p.m. Feb. 20 in the 600 block of North Carico Street, where one person suffered a non-fatal injury. 
  • 2:07 a.m. March 27 at 402 W. Walnut St. and 334 W. Walnut St., where local musician Tim Beaty was fatally shot while helping two SIU student-athletes. Nehemiah Greenlee suffered a non-life threatening gunshot wound the same night. Three Southeast Missouri State University students have since been indicted on gun charges for this incident and Carbondale police are still searching for Daniel Holmes, 21, of Carbondale, as a fourth suspect wanted on felony gun charges for alleged involvement in the shooting.

• 7:06 p.m. March 29 at Evolve Apartments at SIU at 710 S. Illinois Ave., where a 19-year-old male, of Florissant, Mo., who was not identified by police, was taken to the Memorial Hospital of Carbondale with a non-life threatening gunshot wound to his lower back. Holmes is also wanted in this incident. 

• 7 p.m. April 9 in the 900 block of East College Street, where a man was shot once in the leg by a motorist who was attempting to rob him. The man was treated for a non-life-threatening wound at Carbondale Memorial Hospital. 

Below is where and when gun-related incidents in which no one was injured occurred in Carbondale this year, according to reporting by the Daily Egyptian. 

• About 8:45 p.m. Feb. 2 near Saluki Apartments in the 400 block of East College Street. Veteran John McGrath, a 26-year-old junior from Quincy, was forced out of the university and banned from campus discharging a weapon during this incident. 
  • About 6:50 p.m. March 10 in the 900 block of South Elizabeth Street, where SIU student Andy Juravic was robbed at gunpoint. 

The recent outburst in gun violence has raised concerns among SIU students, parents and community members.

“As a parent I’m disturbed by this,” Geri Klinger of Algonquin wrote on Facebook after the Daily Egyptian asked readers how they feel about safety in Carbondale. “I wish my son would transfer. But he loves SIU.”

The incidents also spurred a statement from interim Chancellor Bradley William Colwell. 

“Unfortunately, shooting incidents like those that have occurred off campus are not isolated to Carbondale,” Colwell wrote to student via email March 30. “Gun violence is a national issue and can occur in any community.”

Anyone with information about these incidents are encouraged to contact the Carbondale Police Department at 618-457-3200 or Crime Stoppers at 618-549-COPS (2677).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

The Daily Egyptian’s campus desk can be reached at 618-453-3325 or [email protected].