Here are 10 upcoming events SIU students may want to attend

By Diamond Jones, Daily Egyptian

Here’s a list of upcoming events and meetings happening around campus this week.

Wednesday, April 20: Representatives of an anti-texting-while-driving campaign will visit campus from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The “It Can Wait” campaign video simulator will be featured and students can experience the dangers of texting and driving.

– The Community Farmers Market will begin its second season from 3 to 6 p.m. at its new location in the 200 block of North Washington Street near town square between Jackson and Oak streets. Southern Illinois musician Matthew Decker will perform in regards of WDBX weekly lineup of local music. “The market gives visitors a chance to support local farmers, grab dinner, enjoy live local music and stroll through the community garden,” said Market Manager Reanna Putnam of Food Works, a nonprofit organization promoting sustainable food systems in southern Illinois. Local restaurants will also provide food and drinks. 

– There will be a community forum on poverty, “Sustainability for All Species: Insights for Communal Approaches to Poverty” from 5:30 to 7:15 p.m. at the Carbondale Public Library. The forum, co-sponsored by Sparrow Coalition, SIU’s Imagining Geographies and the Carbondale Public Library, will discuss why we should insure the sustainability of all species and what communal actions we can take to insure their sustainability. There will also be a screening of a Native American perspective in “The Teachings of the Grass” by Robin Kimmerer, a plant biologist of Potawatomi ancestry, and a short presentation and panel discussion by SIU scholars who study sustainability.

Thursday, April 21: From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Center, Be the Match, a student organization on campus, is sponsoring a marrow registry drive in honor of Stephen Ebbs, a professor and chairman of the plant biology department at SIUC.

– A community forum about how to make Carbondale safer and more welcoming is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. at Carbondale Civic Center. The meeting follows a discussion among Mayor Mike Henry, interim City Manager Gary Williams and citizens about recent violence in the Carbondale community. John Washburn will lead and facilitate the meeting and most city council members will attend as well as representatives from SIU. 

Saturday, April 23: The Fourth Friday Fair will celebrate Earth Day, from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Town Square Pavilion. Food will be provided at the free event and it is preferred to bring own drinks. A bounce house, arts and crafts and other family fun is also included. 

– The campus Security Dawgs are having a Cyber Security Day from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the School of Intermediate System and Applied Technologies Room 11 at the Applied Sciences and Arts Building. Students can learn about studying cyber security at SIU and participate in a mock competition with the SIU Security Dawgs. Students will also receive a lunch a t-shirt. No prior security knowledge or experience required. This is an open to the public but mostly focused on high school and college students. Registration is required. Contact at [email protected] or 618-453-7296.

– For one night only, the Spring Fest College Days, Country Nights, presents Chase Rice at 7 p.m. at SIU Arena. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. at SIU Arena. Presented by the Student Programming Council, the show is open to all SIUC students and the general public. General public ticket prices are $20 for presale and $30 if they are brought on the day of the show. For students with their I.D., ticket prices are $10 and if tickets are bought on the day of the show, they will be $17.50. 

– Sunday, April 24: Learn about pollinators and how to build a pollinator garden with the Sufi Park Organic Community Garden from 2 to 4 p.m. at Sufi Park Organic Community Garden, 500 N. Springer St. The organization will host a hands-on workshop to help provide food, shelter and nesting areas for our pollinating friends. The suggested contribution is $10 a person, $15 for a family and children 12 and under are free.

– Tuesday, April 26, 2016: The Secretary of State Mobile Services will be at SIUC from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the south end art gallery of the Student Center. Students and other participants will be able to receive driver licenses, renew state identification, purchase license plate stickers, register to be an organ or tissue donor and many more services.