Salukis salvage final game of series at DBU

By Thomas Donley, @TDonleyDE

Six and two-thirds shutout innings from sophomore righty Michael Baird and production from the middle of the order helped Southern Illinois baseball avoid a weekend sweep at the hands of Dallas Baptist in the nightcap of Saturday’s doubleheader.

Baird (6-2, 1.81 ERA) scattered four hits while striking out four batters and walking three in a 7-0 Saluki victory, the team’s first against Dallas Baptist since March 24, 2011.

SIU (21-15-1, 2-4 Missouri Valley Conference) needed the win to avoid being swept for the first time in 2016. The Dawgs were swept seven times last season.

The loss snapped a five-game win streak for Dallas Baptist (23-11, 4-1 MVC).

A four-run third inning provided all the offense the Salukis would need. The game’s first two runs came in on sophomore left fielder Greg Lambert’s bloop single to right field. Sophomore first baseman Logan Blackfan followed with a two-run double.

Junior center fielder Ryan Smith added an insurance run with his first career Division I home run in the seventh inning.

Blackfan added another two-run double in the ninth. He and Lambert combined to go 4-8 with five RBIs and two runs scored in the game.

Freshman lefty Jordan Martinson (2-1, 2.59 ERA) took the loss for the Patriots, giving up four runs on five hits in six innings with five strikeouts and three walks.

Patriot hitters were 0-8 with runners in scoring position.

The Salukis will host Arkansas State at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Itchy Jones Stadium.

Thomas Donley can be reached at [email protected] or at 618-536-3307