15 Minute Saluki with: Davante Drinkard

15 Minute Saluki with: Davante Drinkard

By Joe Ragusa

Daily Egyptian: How have your summer classes gone so far?

Davante Drinkard: They’re going really good so far. I only have one class right now, and two four-week classes total. I’m taking Ethics and African American studies.

DE: What kind of plans do you have this summer outside of basketball?

DD: Getting a 3.5 or 4.0 academically and finishing a lot better, on the court and off the court. I’m also trying to help the young guys get a lot better by mentoring them, showing them what to do and leading them in the right direction.

DE: How has the first day of summer practice been?

DD: It was wonderful, I loved it. Everybody is going hard, it was a really good atmosphere.

DE: What is the new coaching staff like?

DD: They’re easy to talk to; they’re good men. We respect them and have no problem listening to them.

DE: What kind of music have you been listening to lately?

DD: I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. My most recent playlist is mainly the Fray, the Script, John Mayer, those type of artists.

DE: What got you into that kind of music?

DD: We’re from the south, we listen to everything down there. I listen to country music, rap music, everything.

DE: What kind of differences have you noticed from your hometown of Toccoa, Ga., and Carbondale?

DD: People and the cultures are pretty different. People are a lot nicer down south.

DE: Are people meaner here?

DD: Nah, people just aren’t used to having nice people around (in Carbondale). Naturally, people at home are just nicer to me, I think.

DE: What kind of expectations do you have for next season?

DD: We expect to win every game. That’s what we’re trying to do; win every one. There isn’t any games you can go out there and say, ‘Oh, we can lose this one,’ so right now our expectations are to win every one that we can.

DE: If you can describe yourself in one word, what would it be?

DD: It’s hard to answer this question without sounding egotistical. I guess I’d go with caring.