Salukis lose 2 of 3 on the road against Shockers

By Joe Ragusa

While Cameron Maldonado, senior right-handed pitcher for the Salukis, threw a gem in his return to Wichita State on Saturday, the other pitchers failed in comparison, and SIU could only win one of three against the Shockers Friday through Sunday.

SIU (15-13. 3-3 Missouri Valley Conference) dropped the rubber match Sunday 10-7 to Wichita State (17-14, 2-1 MVC).

Nathan Dorris, junior left-handed pitcher for the Salukis, failed to pitch five innings in his third straight start Sunday, but freshman right-handed pitcher Sam Coonrod (1-1) took the loss after giving up five earned runs over the final three and a third innings.

The Salukis had eight more hits than Wichita State on their way to a 10-3 victory Saturday. Wichita State jumped out to a 3-0 lead after three innings against Maldonado, but the Shockers could only muster one hit after that point as Maldonado (3-0) cruised to a complete-game victory.

Sophomore shortstop Jake Welch had three RBIs on two hits Saturday, while senior designated hitter Brock Harding went 4-for-5 with four RBIs.

The Salukis were five outs away from victory Friday with sophomore right-handed pitcher Todd Eaton going for a two-inning save in the first game against Wichita State when the Shockers’ pinch-runner Don Lambert stole second base, advanced to third on a passed ball, then scored on a single from Erik Harbutz to tie the game 3-3.

The blown save wasted a quality start from Saluki junior right-handed pitcher Cody Forsythe, who gave up two unearned runs on three hits in seven innings. He struck out seven.

The game remained 3-3 until the bottom of the 10th, when Lambert scored the winning run on a wild pitch from Saluki sophomore right-handed pitcher Aaron Snyder (1-2), who took the loss.

Saluki first baseman Chris Serritella hit his eighth home run, which leads the Missouri Valley Conference, in the top of the sixth. Serritella also boasts a conference-best 47 hits and .685 slugging percentage.

SIU returns Tuesday to play in a rematch on the road against Murray State. The Salukis fell 7-2 when the Racers came to Carbondale March 28.