Student councils receive board update

By Tai Cox

The university’s image is still a big concern for at least one member of the Board of Trustees.

Jesse Cler, SIU’s student trustee, sat in on the the Undergraduate Student Government and Graduate and Professional Student Council meetings Tuesday to introduce himself and inform students that they have a bigger say on issues than they think.

“If I can hear your input on certain issues that you’re concerned about, that will help me make a better vote on the board on behalf of the student body,” Cler said.

The BOT meets today in Edwardsville and will hold its first meeting in Carbondale this semester Dec. 13.

The university’s image and groundwork are the biggest issues Cler said the BOT is working to improve. He said the university received a 6 percent funding appropriation decrease from the state this year. Although there is limited funding, Cler said the board still looks to improve the campus physically.

“This is why we’re putting so much effort into building new facilities on campus to attract new students to come to SIUC so that we can improve our image,” Cler said.

Corbin Doss, vice president of USG, said he was thankful that Cler sat in on the meeting because he speaks on the students’ behalf much like the student government body.

Blaine Tisdale, GPSC president, also invited Cler to speak Tuesday. Tisdale said Cler shared his experiences on the BOT so far and took questions from the council about his role on the board.

Tisdale also told GPSC members he will represent graduate and professional students on Carbondale’s Human Relations Commission.

Peter Lucas, vice president of administrative affairs for GPSC, shared an updated budget with the council. He said the council is on track with the year’s budget.

The GPSC will also sponsor the Student Health Center’s AIDS Walk on Nov. 29, and proceeds will support low-income southern Illinois families impacted by AIDS. Tisdale said he will captain the GPSC team.

USG didn’t announce any sponsorships, but the group approved two Registered Student Organization funding requests at its meeting.

Saluki Thon received $600 for a Feb. 9 dance marathon. The marathon is free, but attendees can make donations at the door for a foundation to build and maintain a school in Kenya, Africa. The project is organized by Peter Gitau, associate vice chancellor of student life and intercultural relations.

Voices of Inspiration received $376 for its fall concert, which the group organized to hold the week before final examinations.

Two groups, the SIUC Society of Non-Destructive Evaluation and the SIUC Women’s Basketball Club, received approval to become RSOs at Tuesday’s meeting.

Kenny Newsome, USG finance chair president, said there is $14,203.07 left in the budget to allocate to RSOs for the remainder of the fall semester and beginning of the spring semester. He said any RSO that intends to request funds during the spring semester must attend mandatory meetings during the week of March 4. Otherwise, the RSO will not be allowed to request funding until next fall.