Online research new standard students

By Trey Braunecker

As the use of online resources in the classroom continues to grow, more professors have accepted the use of virtual research for papers instead of the traditional brick-and-mortar library.

According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, a recent survey showed professors find services offered by libraries and scholars less valuable than previous years. It also revealed that, even though professors still prefer traditional forms of academic research — such as books or periodicals— the use of online articles has become more acceptable with college students’ increased Internet use. The survey was created by Ithaka, an academic nonprofit organization, and was sent via email to 160,008 faculty members at random four-year universities with 5,261 members responding to it. But while professors’ attitudes might be changing, university staff and students are mixed in their opinions of how useful changeable internet resources such as Wikipedia really are.

Susan Tulis, information services associate dean, said she realizes the convenience students have finding articles online but is concerned the information published online might not always be correct.

“We always tell students to be very careful of what they find on a website,” Tulis said. “Just because anybody can publish whatever they want online does not mean it is always legitimate information.”

If students want established academic articles for research papers, Morris Library subscribes to a number of online databases that provide full texts of accredited journals to people registered with the university, she said.

“If you go to a publishing companies website, they usually ask for a username, password or tell you it costs $35 to access an article,” she said, “If any SIU faculty or staff go through the library’s website, they have free access to those articles, because we are already paying for them.”

Tulis said, although most professors would discourage websites such as Wikipedia as online resources, she does not want to dissuade students from using websites for information gathering. Still, it is important for students to evaluate the sources they use to make sure the information is credible, she said.

“I use Wikipedia and Google,” Tulis said. “They’re a valuable resource, because I can use them as a starting point. But I have been in this business for 30-some years, so I can probably look at a website and tell what is correct and what somebody has fabricated.”

However, students who use the library can be sure they are getting the latest version of an article or book for their work, she said.

“A lot of people say ‘if the information is on the internet, why would you need a library,’ but the fact that there is so much information out there, that is where libraries and librarians come into play — they can help you sift through what information is current and what is not,” she said.

History professor Jonathan Bean also recommended that students consider using library resources, as the ability to access digitally archive opportunities articles has enhanced research for students. He said the option to search for articles, newspapers and journals online drastically cuts the time normally needed to search for information by hand.

“It makes information gathering easier and gives students more focused literature searches, so you can find what is most relevant to your topic,” he said

He also said the biggest online research issue professors and students have is how to use technology effectively.

“The biggest handicap students have with online research is that students use the Internet and simply Google information they can find much more effectively through an online database, especially the articles we have archived, organized and paid for here at the university,” he said.

Some students said they think online research is the new standard for students, echoing Tulis’ and Bean’s opinions.

Chris Marshall, a junior from St. Louis studying rehabilitation services, said he thinks online resources have taken the place of physical research in recent years.

“(Online resources give) you easier access to what you need,” he said. “You do not have to go to the library. All you have to do is hop on your laptop or smartphone and look up the key terms you need to find the resources you want.”

Jeremy Meyer, a junior from Chicago studying advertising, said he agrees professors have warmed up more to online research.

“Anytime I need to do a reading for an article, most of the teachers just post everything on Desire2Learn, I don’t even need to really buy a book anymore,” he said, “I only have one professor who still has us read the book, but it is online for the most part, and I enjoy it more that way,” he said.